Tuesday, March 1, 2011

eyes wide shut

Addison has a sleeping habit that I'm not sure is unique to her or if it is common in a lot of babies, but it can catch you off guard sometimes! When putting her down for naps or bedtime I started noticing that sometimes she wouldn't close her eyes all of the way. She would be fast asleep with little slits for eyes and you could see when she went into REM because her eyes would start to dance around. Weeks later she started to actually do this with her eye lids all of the way open but her eyeballs would not move she would just stare at one spot. I would get confused, thinking that she was waking up and I would try to console her and get her to go back down. It didn't take long for me to figure out that my consoling was actually waking her up! And finally, we have progressed to yet a new stage. This is the one that will catch you off guard if you aren't prepared. This has only happened at night while putting her in the crib but (and this is only on occasion) once her body hits the mattress her eyes will shoot open as if she has been startled awake and she will stare in one place (usually directly at you, which adds to the creepiness). The first time this happened I was concerned, I thought that something was wrong. So, I called her name and rubbed her head and she lazily blinked her eyes and woke up. Of course, then I realized that she was sleeping with her eyes open. Adam likens this stage to something out an exorcist movie or something. I guess it's the stone cold face with no expression and eyes popping wide open to stare you down, but I have to agree it is a little unnerving, but cute right? Cause it's my baby. Needless to say, I hope she grows out of this little quirk. I can't imagine how that would go over at a sleepover!

Clearly I can't capture this moment in a picture, one because it would wake her up and two because I'm too scared of what her reaction would be coming out of a deep sleep like that. She might go for my jugular or something (just kidding!). To remind you of how sweet and cute she is here is a picture of how I found her after she had woken up from her nap the other morning. She woke up once and I went in and she had the right leg unsnapped on her outfit, so I snapped it back and put her back down. She woke up again and this time when I went in her left leg was unsnapped. I laughed, snapped her back up and put her back down. The last time she woke up I went in and this is what I found. Crafty little one!

1 comment:

  1. too cute! yeah one of mine does the one eye halfway open thing. kind of creepy but cute at the same time ;) i'm so glad you are blogging mendy!!!

    ReplyDelete